J. M. Lliteras, Lloyd Amsberry, Percy Dyer and Ralph Hennings comprised the first Board of Directors. Mr. Lliteras was elected as the first Treasurer (Manager) and served as such until September, 1952.
The Credit Union has since been managed by:
- C. T. Lovell – September 1952 through December 1954
- Mary Lliteras – January 1955 through May 1957
- Carmen (Lliteras) Knaub – June 1957 through March 1982
- Kathryn Votruba – March 1982 through October 1982
- Kathy Gettert – November 1982 through December 2020
- Tiffany McGowan- January 2021 to date
H. C. Hansen, Frank Dee and William Kiester were elected to the first Credit Committee, on which Mr. Hansen continued to serve until his death in 1965.
Those who first served on the Supervisory Committee were A. G. Greenwood, C. A. Burleau and Ronald Hopkins.
The Credit Union has since been served by many, many volunteers, whose support has been vital to the Credit Union’s success.
During the first 17 1/2 years of existence, the Credit Union was operated primarily out of the Farmers Union Co-Operative Oil Association. For a short time, it was headquartered at the Farmers Union Coop Store and also at the Robert and Mary Lliteras residence.
In August, 1968, the Credit Union relocated to 506 Niobrara, where it operated for 14 years. From November 1982 to November 1985, its headquarters was located in the Gregory’s Insurance offices, but has since been moved back to 506 Niobrara until July of 1995. It was then moved to its present location at 801 Box Butte Avenue, in the old Bank of Hemingford building, and the Credit Union purchased the property in March of 2000.
The Credit Union had very modest beginnings, which some of the original members taking out loans to deposit in their personal share accounts to build the Credit Union’s assets and capital. Being the first credit union in the community, plus being a new, unknown business with limited funds for promotion, it was some time before the Credit Union experience substantial growth.
In 1989 the credit union’s name was changed to Hemingford Community Federal Credit Union. The Credit Union today still server Co-Op stockholders and their families, but over the years has expanded their field of membership to:
- Members and employees of the following in Hemingford, Nebraska:
- Farmers Co-operative Elevator Company
- Hemingford Co-operative Telephone Company
- Employees of Hemingford Community Care Center who work in Hemingford, Nebraska.
- Faculty, staff, school board members and students of Hemingford Public Schools (School District #10) in Hemingford, NE;
- Employees of this credit union;
- Members of their immediate families; described as follows: spouse, child, sibling, parent, grandparent or grandchild, including step-parents, step-children, step-siblings and adoptive relation-ships, or persons living in the same residence, maintaining a single economic unit.
- Organizations of such persons.
Hemingford Credit Union has over the years served the purpose for which it was intended. That being, to provide a financial institution whereby members pool their resources for the benefit of each other. Our mission today remains:
Your community’s member-owned Credit Union where member’s needs come first!